It’s no secret that we love our slow cooker. It’s our saving grace for those busy days when you know you aren’t going to have time to stand over a stove for hours. There’s a little bit of prep work involved in this recipe but the end result makes it well worth it!
1.2kg slow cooker beef (I used chuck)
1 brown onion diced
2 large carrots diced
3 garlic cloves chopped
2 sticks of celery diced
800g diced tomato
3 tablespoons of tomato paste
2 cups of beef stock
1 cup water
2-3 bay leaves
Rind of parmesan (optional)
Salt and pepper
500 grams pappardelle pasta
Parmesan to serve
1. Season beef, heat oil in large fry pan and brown beef on both sides. Place in slow cooker.
2. Add some more oil into the pan and cook onion, garlic, carrots and celery over a medium heat until soft (10 minutes or so).
3. Add in tomato paste and stir well.
4. Add in stock, diced tomatoes, water, parmesan rind and bay leaves and bring to the boil. Once boiled place in the slow cooker with the beef and cook on low for 8 hours.
5. Carefully remove beef and set aside. Pour remaining sauce into a large saucepan over a medium heat.
6. Reduce sauce by half. Meanwhile cook pasta.
7. Once sauce has reduced to your liking, stir through cooked pappardelle (adding some pasta water if you like), season and serve with a generous amount of parmesan.